Statewide Health Improvement Partnership (SHIP):
The Statewide Health Improvement Partnership (SHIP) supports community-driven solutions to expand opportunities for active living, healthy eating and commercial tobacco-free living.
About Statewide Health Improvement Partnership (SHIP)
The Statewide Health Improvement Partnership (SHIP) is a Minnesota-based initiative that works at the local level, in part by awarding community grants, to support healthier communities by expanding opportunities for active living, healthy eating, well-being, and commercial tobacco-free living.
SHIP funding is for projects that make lasting policy, system and environmental change and that will affect large segments of the population, with a priority for those that have experienced the greatest health inequities. Therefore, we cannot guarantee a project will receive SHIP funding.
SHIP Community Grant Awardees are required to provide a minimum of a 10% match for any SHIP-funded request.
Thanks to SHIP, Minnesota communities are:
- Increasing access to fresh, local fruits and vegetables at farmers markets, local corner stores, emergency food programs, mobile markets, and other food retailers
- Serving healthier foods and increasing access to physical activity opportunities at schools and childcare facilities
- Making biking and walking easier in Minnesota towns and cities
- Taking steps to make multi-unit housing sites smoke free
- Working with small and mid-sized employers to improve workers’ health and productivity
- Working with healthcare sites to strengthen connections to community resources, ensuring patients are referred to evidenced-based programs
- Supporting lactation spaces so it’s easier to breastfeed at work or school
- And more.
Blue Earth County Public Health, believes that engaging with community members is important to the success of our endeavors. Partnerships allow Public Health to more accurately identify problems, develop more effective solutions, leverage community resources to create impact and develop new leaders who will advocate for the long-term health of their families and communities.
Our work hinges on being able to successfully partner within our communities. We are fortunate to have a wide array of community partners, including Blue Earth County schools; city and county governments; health care organizations; civic organizations and private businesses - all of whom are dedicated to forming a healthier future for Blue Earth County.
Our focus when working with community partners is on implementing sustainable policy, systems and environmental (PSE) change. We primarily accomplish this in the following 3 ways:
- by awarding grants for eligible projects, following guidance and with oversight both internally and from the MN Department of Health
- by providing technical assistance and expertise about best practices to support planning and implementation
- by facilitating local health promotion initiatives
SHIP Community Partner Awards
Mankato Area Public Schools Community Education Department
- SHIP Community Partner Award for promotion of community walking for the 62 years+ community.
SMILES Center for Independent Living
- SHIP Community Partner Award to support recreational opportunities through use of adaptive bikes.
Mankato East High School
- SHIP Community Partner Award to support lactation space for staff in the workplace.
- Loyola Catholic School, SHIP Community Partner Award to increase physical activity options during the school day, $2,999.00
- Lutheran Social Service of Minnesota, SHIP Community Partner Award to purchase additional kitchen site freezer to accommodate increased demand for community meals, $4,950
- VINE Faith in Action, SHIP Community Partner Award to assist with offering the National Diabetes Prevention Program, $3,080.50
- City of Lake Crystal, SHIP Community Partner Award for sidewalk assessment, $18,120
- Mount Olive Lutheran School, SHIP Community Partner Award to increase physical activity options through Quality Physical Education and add options for physical activity after school through school-based programming, $3,743
- Living Earth Center (Blue Earth County Community Farm), SHIP Community Partner Award for garden infrastructure and fruit trees, $4,000
- South Central Minnesota Food Recovery, SHIP Community Partner Award for food safety certified volunteer space, $5,500
- Minnesota State University Mankato, SHIP Community Partner Award for tobacco free grounds signage, $9,800