COVID-19:The landfill and it's services remain available at this time. When arriving to the landfill please pull onto the scale or up to the drive-thru window to speak to the scale-house attendant, as the office doors are locked for your health and the health of our employees.
The Ponderosa Landfill is located at 20028 Gooseberry Lane about six miles southwest of Mankato. It is one mile west of the junction of County Road 33 and County Road 34.
- Loads are $0.03 per pound
- Minnesota State tax on garbage is 17%
- Minimum rate is $5 per load.
- Commercial MSW loads are $45 per ton
- Minnesota State tax on garbage is 17% (Blue Earth County does not charge taxes on disposal)
- Minimum charge of $5 per load.
Bulky Waste Prices
The rates for Bulky Waste will be as follows (prices include tax):
1) Box Spring $21.65 (eff. April 1, 2020); 2) Mattress $21.65 (eff. April 1, 2020);
3) Recliner $9.36; 4) Sofa $9.36; 5) Bulky item with mixed load $5.85
- For Bulky Items brought separately, or in a segregated (Bulky Item) load, the customer will not be charged for the weight of the item, but will pay the per unit charge.
- For Bulky Items brought in a mixed load, the item will be weighed with the mixed load, and the customer will be charged the weight of the item in addition to the Bulky Item mixed load price per unit.
- If a Bulky Item is found in a mixed load on the workface, the mixed load charge will be added to the customer account.
- Bulky Waste Items are more difficult to handle at the Landfill than other waste items.
- Bulky Waste Items weigh less than other items compared with the space they consume at the Landfill. This means that without a special charge, Bulky Items do not pay for the space they consume.
The Ponderosa Landfill is permitted to accept mixed municipal solid waste (MSW) and some industrial waste. MSW generally includes most household, office and commercial waste. The Ponderosa will also accept demolition and construction waste, but at regular MSW rates.
Note: Hazardous wastes are not accepted at the Ponderosa.
Waste Not Accepted
The Ponderosa cannot accept the following wastes:
- Yard wastes
- Liquid wastes
- Hazardous wastes
- Medical or infectious wastes
- Hot loads
Certain wastes are not allowed to be disposed of within the fill area of the Landfill, but are accepted as a special waste for recycling off-site. There is a special charge for these items at the gate. Keep these wastes separate from the rest of your load, and notify the gate attendant if you have these:
- Waste Electronics- reduced rates for Blue Earth County residents (proof of residency)
About the Landfill
The Ponderosa Landfill is a state-of-the-art sanitary (MSW) landfill which meets or exceeds environmental protection requirements of Minnesota and Federal Law. The Ponderosa has been in operation since 1972, and owned by Blue Earth County since 1996. The Ponderosa is permitted and routinely inspected by the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency.
Integrated Waste Management
The County encourages the use of the Integrated Waste Management System, including Resource Recovery for waste disposal. The Ponderosa functions as part of the Integrated system by receiving residuals left after processing. The Ponderosa also accepts waste directly from waste haulers, as well as from area businesses, and the general public.