Redistricting is the process of redrawing the boundaries of election districts for elected officials in Congress, the State Legislature, County Commissioners, and City Councilors. It is done so every person is as equally represented as possible at the federal, state, and local levels.
Redistricting was started when the 2020 Census was conducted and is completed once every 10 years. The county will complete its redistricting work in time for voters to be notified prior to the August 9 statewide primary election and the November 8 general election.
- February 15, 2022 - State completes the congressional and legislative redistricting.
- March 2022 - Cities and the County work to draft plans, collect public feedback, and finalize their redistricting plans.
- March 1, 2022 - County Commissioners hold work session to discuss redistricting process and potential plans.
- March 15, 2022 - Blue Earth County holds a public open house for feedback on the redistricting process and potential plans.
- March 29, 2022 - Cities and Townships must have their plans completed.
- April 5, 2022 - Blue Earth County conducts its public hearing for the 2022 redistricting plan options.
- April 5, 2022 - County Commissioners meet at their regular meeting to approve a 2022 redistricting plan.
- Summer 2022 - County notifies all registered voters of their newly-assigned districts and any other voting information.
- Learn more about other elections-related dates for 2022 here. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Polling places - where you vote - may change as a result of redistricting. Use this online tool to learn where you MAY vote depending on the plans approved by the county (and the cities/townships). All voters will be mailed notice later this summer with their officially designated polling place.
Residents were allowed to provide feedback on proposed plans in multiple ways:
- A County Redistricting Plan Open House was held on Tuesday, March 15 from 4pm to 7pm.
- Plans were online (see Plan Documents tab above) and in person at the Historic Courthouse.
- Ability to submit redistricting plans for consideration.
- Attend a redistricting plan public hearing held on April 5.