Motor Vehicle Registrations & Transfers
Motor Vehicle Registration from Out-of-State
- When someone moves to Minnesota, they must submit foreign state title or current registration if the title is unavailable.
- Applicants must provide current odometer reading and driver's license or state-issued identification card.
- If there is a lien against the vehicle, the owner must provide the name and complete address of the lender, as well as the date of the loan.
- Owner's signature is required on the Minnesota title application.
Transfer Vehicle Ownership
Note: This is not all-inclusive as to the purchase or transfer of vehicles.
- Title from state of last license is used to transfer (MN's title is 7"x11" green & white). If the title cannot be located, the seller must apply for a duplicate.
- The mileage as it appears on the odometer must be written on the title.
- Title will show all current owners' names. All those whose names appears as owners must sign as sellers.
- If a lien holder is listed (bank, credit union, or individual from whom money was borrowed), the lien holder must sign title or lien card releasing their interest in the vehicle.
- Transfer of ownership from the seller to the buyer is NOT finished until the completed title is turned in and the excise tax and related fees are paid.
- For unique situations or questions on vehicle transfers, please visit or contact us at (507) 304-4340.
- Print full name(s), address, date(s) of birth, driver's license number(s) and sign.
- If no lien, check "None." If money was borrowed to purchase, the complete name and address of the lien holder(s) and the date of the lien must be printed on the title.
- Vehicle transfers from dealership to private individual(s) are usually handled by the dealership. However, out-of-state purchases of new vehicles require the Manufactured Statement of Origin (MSO) signed by the dealer with the individual(s) name(s) listed as purchaser(s).
- All transfers and new vehicles must be transferred within 10 days of purchase.