Children spend the majority of their waking hours at school where they
consume 30 - 60 percent of their daily calories. Schools can, therefore,
be a champion in encouraging kids to eat healthy and stay active now,
which helps them develop healthy habits that will serve them later in
life. Not only does this make for healthier kids (and future adults),
but it also helps them to be better learners, through improved
attendance, behavior, and academic performance.
BE WELL partners with schools by focusing on the following healthy school best practices, which become the backbone of a comprehensive and sustainable healthy school environment:
* Form a wellness committee
* Complete or update a school health assessment
* Develop or update an action plan
* NEW School Partners: Apply for BE WELL funding
* RETURNING Partners: Apply for BE WELL funding. Applications for SY2017-18 due December 31, 2017.
* Implement and evaluate
* Update your wellness policy accordingly
* Sustain efforts